Sunday, May 20, 2007

It's About Time

Well most of you reading this know that I grew up in a small town and spent most of my almost 34 years there. However, God has had us on a little tour of the U.S. the last couple of years. At least that is what it has felt like since we haven't got to stay in one place for too long. No, I am not telling you all that we are moving again. (Not yet anyway. I keep praying though.) I just had an experience that made me feel like we finally really live here. We moved our things into our house here the 1st weekend of June last year and it has taken a while to feel settled.

So here it is almost the anniversary of our move and I still feel like the new kid in town and don't really know too many people. I know a lot of faces, but don't really know someone ... like see them in the grocery store and smile but don't stop and talk to them. Which back in Illinois I couldn't go to Wal-Mart without it taking twice as long as it should because I was chatting with someone I know or at least could have. (I really miss that :( Sometimes at the time it was annoying but now that it is gone I miss it.) Anyway, back to my story. It was a Tues. and the fastest two hours of the week were happening. (Leighton was at preschool and I had two hours to myself. That is why it is the fastest two hours of the week ;) Didn't you notice how from 9:15 - 11:15 every Tues those two hours fly.) I had five mins. before I had to pick Leighton up and thought I would stop in Sally Beauty Supply. Now I have shopped at Sally before in Indiana and Ohio, but hadn't visited the Sally in our new town. I need some purple shampoo to bring out my blond and was on a mission after all I only had 5 mins.!!

I noticed that someone was at the cash register checking out but since I don't know anyone in this town anyway I just barreled on in to look for my purple shampoo. As I was looking at the finger nail polish (I get sidetracked easily can you tell?) I heard someone say my name. Well I turned around and it was my friend Julie and her two kids. Her daughter had recognized me and got her mom's attention. Well, we actually chatted for a minute and decided to meet for lunch at Pizza Hut after I picked up Leighton. So I was pretty excited that I had a real conversation with someone I knew outside of my house that wasn't preplanned.

I went on to get my shampoo, pick up Leighton, and then meet Julie and her kids. This was a really a good day because I already had made plans with Julie (same one. Come on I don't know that many people) and another friend Alison to have a ladies night out that night. So not only did I see someone I know in public, I had a conversation with them, and got two meals out in one day!!! As we were having our lunch and trying to talk (it is a bit hard when you have 3 children present and the oldest is Leighton who is 4) we were discussing how nice it was out and that we were going to go home and play outside. Now Leighton is my child and wants to have company over all the time so he starts asking if Sarah and Shane (Julie's two kids) can come over and play at our house. I say sure and ask if they can. Julie suggests we go to the park so it is easier for her to get her two children home for their nap then trying to drag them away from my house. So I say sure and we pack up and leave for the park.

We arrive at the park and the kids start playing. It is a beautiful day and all is right with the world. After all I have finally got to see someone I know in public without planning it before hand! All of the sudden I see Julie waving at someone. Now Julie grew up in our town so it did not surprise me in the least that she saw someone she knew. A few weeks before we were at Mc Donald's and I got to meet several members of her husbands family who happened to be at the same Mc Donald's. So I didn't pay too much attention to whomever she was waving to until I saw them. It was Alison and her two kids. (Yes the same one I had dinner plans with. I already told you I don't know that many people) WOW!!! TWO PEOPLE I KNOW OUT IN PUBLIC AND I DIDN'T PLAN IT IN ADVANCE!!!!!!! It had to be a miracle.

3 comments:

JenniferLayne said...

Whooh! Hooh! That is huge. Did you have trouble going to sleep that night after so much adult conversation?? :)Jen

Kathy said...

Even though it has been nine years since we moved to Marshall, I can so relate to this post. That is such a neat feeling when you're out and about and you can "stop and visit" with a familiar face. It's sort of a different kind of "homecoming" feeling that just leaves you feeling good all over. Congratulations. And I love the Mother's Day post too! Great pix!

Melissa Milbourn said...

I finally got to read this today! and when I thought about writing a comment the first thing I thought of writing was WHOOH! HOOH! so it made me laugh when I clicked on comments and saw that Jen was thinking that direction too!

Love ya! that's exciting! (not that I love ya, but the fact that you saw two friends out :-)