Thursday, September 6, 2007

1st Day of School


Yesterday was the first day of school for Brenna and Zia. Leighton had to get in the picture too. He can't wait for preschool to start next week. He would really like to ride the bus too, but will have to wait until next year. The girls like their new teachers and know a couple kids each in their classes. Brenna is excited because she gets to be a safety. I think it is kind of like a hall monitor when the kids are coming in and going out to the buses. She gets to stand in the hall and keep kids from running and stuff like that. The picture with the sign is a tradition I started when Brenna went to preschool years ago. I make a sign that says "1st day of school" and has the date on it. A couple of years ago I had to add what city and state we were living in so I would remember when I finally get around to scrap booking them in say 15-20 years. I am not sure how much longer Brenna will tolerate me taking the getting on the bus shot. But, at least she didn't say anything this year.
I always love this time of year. First, because of new school supplies. If you know me very well you know that I LOVE school/office supplies. I think that is one of the reasons I became a teacher, I could keep on buying school supplies every year! Now I get to buy them for my kids but, they want to pick out their own stuff and don't always want to get what I want to get:( A trip to Office Max or Staples is really fun for me, even if I don't buy anything. Which is really weird because I really like to buy stuff. Anyway the other reason is that we get back into a routine. Now if you have read any of my other posts you will know that I LOVE SUMMER, but I also like having a routine. So now we have to get up and get ready for school and I will have to take Leighton to preschool. Soccer practice, piano lessons and dance classes are all on the calendar and we have a routine. No more sleeping in and staying up late... no more staying in our pajamas all day (until we have a snow day)... no more going to the pool or the lake... no more sunsets at 9:30 p.m.... no more pack up and leaving for home without planning around all the kids activities... Wait a minute, sorry about that, back to the start of school... I like the routine of it. The kids going off and coming home full of what their day was like, homework, practice all that stuff. At least for a few weeks :)

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Yep, the routine is nice! I'm still a bit overwhelmed with soccer and keeping the kids up on homework, but we'll settle in I'm sure. I love the pictures.

JenniferLayne said...

If Brenna starts complaining about the bus picture, tell her it could be worse--she could be having to kiss you!! :)Jen

Denny said...

Will got a little annoyed with me too.
I took his picture when he was getting off the bus. Of course, I don't know if it was the fact he's in the 8th grade and I still took his picture or that I took it when I had a pair of shorts on with no shirt and I stuck my gut out as far as it would go in front of everyone on the bus!!

Melissa Milbourn said...

well...I remember when Jan Brady was a hall monitor. Her brothers and sisters got mad at her.:-) I'm not sure whether that's before or after Marcia got her nose broke. Are you old enough to remember all fo this?(I'm stuck in 70's comedy's this week)

Anonymous said...

Good words.